Generally speaking if the basketball unit is within your property zone then there really shouldn’t be any need for a permit. It all depends on the law in your area.

Problems usually occur if the neighborhood kids drag their portable hoop into the street and start playing basketball on the road. This blocks the road and in many cases infuriates the neighbors who may take legal action.

Some neighborhoods may require some sort of documentation for the more permanent in-ground units although this is probably a rare occurrence.

If you want to be sure then go to your local council office and ask them for more information.